DIY Refashioning: How to make a loose shirt tighter & add lace waistband


Do you also have clothes in your wardrobe you are not wearing, simply because you think they are not flattering?

I had one top like that and I changed it into one of my now favorite shirts!

Minns Things: DIY Refashioning: Make a loose shirt tighter/smaller with added lace waistband
Feel free to share if you like this!

This was another item in my wardrobe I loved buying but not wearing. I bought it years ago at an organic / fair fashion shop. It is made by nümph, a danish company with a strong code of conduct for them and all their suppliers.

The shirt was good fitting at my bust and designed to be loose around the belly - kind of like a babydoll. Here lies the problem: The two sections at the belly were notnthat flattering on my body and made me look slightly bigger. Now I don't like size zero and I am totally comfortable with my weight. But after getting asked several times wearing this, if I am pregnant, I stopped wearing it.

Minns Things: DIY Refashioning: Make a loose shirt tighter / smaller with added lace
Before

One thing is clear: This shirt was ready for a DIY Refashioning project!
I love the top part so this had to stay the way it is. My plan was to tighten the fit at the belly and add a lace waistband. I also planned on shortening it a bit, as it originally almost covered my entire backside.


How to do it


1. Removing the layers


Open the seams of both layers with an unstitcher and remove loose threads.
I needed to be careful not to damage the seams of the zipper.

Minns Things: DIY Refashioning: Make a loose shirt tighter / smaller with added lace
Before, removing the lowest and the middle layer

2. Fitting the top part


As the bottom end of the top part was a bit loose, I needed to make it fit tighter.
Flip it to the wrong side, put it on and pin it (equally at both side seams) with safety pins to a fit as you want it.
Then, using tailor's chalk, draw a line where you need to sew. Make sure the line meets the original seem in a very low angle to avoid bumps.
Sew along the line, trim excess fabric and if needed, also neaten the seam allowance.

Minns Things: DIY Refashioning: Make a loose shirt tighter / smaller with added lace
Safety pin at the side seam to mark the tight fit I want

3. Adjust and add the length part(s)


I decided to keep the two belly parts but shorten the middle one. 
So first, pin the middle layer onto the top part. It's best to do this with the right sides together (inside). If you haven't yet, cut the tube open and start with the remaining side seam matching the side seam of the top part. Then pin your way along the waist until you reach the other side seam of the top. Cut the excess fabric of the middle part, then sew the side seam and the connection of top and middle part. 

Now adjust the length of the middle part. I'd like to put it on and mark with chalk where it should end. Cut there, considering the seam allowance. 

Now do the same with the last, bottom part. But don't cut the length of course, unless you want a new hemline here ;-)

Minns Things: DIY Refashioning: Make a loose shirt tighter / smaller with added lace
Middle and bottom part fitted and sewed on

4. Add a lace waistband


Measure the length and width you need and cut the lace waistband out and sew it on. 
If you don't have nice finished edges, consider adding about 0,5cm to each side to fold it over for a nice finish. 

Minns Things: DIY Refashioning: Make a loose shirt tighter / smaller with added lace waistband
My lace waistband
Minns Things: DIY Refashioning: Make a loose shirt tighter / smaller with added lace waistband
Finished! 


5. Enjoy and wear it! 


Finished! It really doesn't take long and I love the new shirt so much, I've already worn it more than over all years before. 

Minns Things: DIY Refashioning: Make a loose shirt tighter / smaller with added lace waistband
Finished front view

Minns Things: DIY Refashioning: Make a loose shirt tighter / smaller with added lace waistband
Finished back view

Do you have/had a similar problem clothing item? Do you like this shirt better before or after the change?

Comments